Whatever Happens...


One of my favorite verses right now is a small sentence in a small book of the Bible. I never really noticed it before, but when I read it in the NIV it suddenly came alive for me.


photo source

That's not the whole verse, but I just needed that first sentence, just 13 words, to cut me to the quick.

To convict my heart of what is truly expected of me -

That if I love my Lord, I will show it in ALL of my words, thoughts and actions -

 WHATEVER happens

If the children play with water in the bathroom and the peel-and-stick tiles come loose from the floor.

If I am late, though I tried to be on time.

If the children lie, or disobey, or annoy.

If my husband and I disagree.

If there's not enough money.

If I have to cancel a much anticipated engagement.

If the kids are sick again, so I can't go to church.

If my to-do list for the day did not include a trip to the emergency room.

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

My natural reaction is to snap and bark and sigh, but what God calls me to do is "take off your old self with its practices and put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowlege in the image of its Creator."(Colossians 3:9-10)

 In order to be renewed by knowledge, I must be regularly reading the Word of God.

But that it not all.

I also have to "put off" the old natural reactions and intentionally make a change. I have to put the Word of God into practice in my life.

What.
        Ever.
               Happens.

So. If you have seen these words written on my hand lately, it's just because I need the reminder!

2 comments:

aussiegirl said...

LOVE IT!!
Thanks for posting!
(and aloha from Hawaii)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

My Instagram