With Thanksgiving...

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever. Who can proclaim the mighty acts of the Lord or fully declare His praise? Psa. 106:1-2
We don't have many special traditions for Thanksgiving that specifically involve giving thanks. We eat. We talk. We play board games and watch movies. It's good family time but, inspired by Ann Voscamp's book One Thousand Gifts,  I've been feeling the need for more thanksgiving in my life - and in the lives of my children - so last year I started some new traditions.

I got an idea from one of you other bloggers and made a Thankful Tree. It was SO EASY! I just used a large vase, though you could use a tall drinking glass or a canning jar or a clay crock - you get the idea. Just about anything tall and stable enough to hold a few sticks. Be sure to select sticks or small branches that have many little twigs to hold the thankful notes.

It's not happy people who are thankful, it is Thankful people who are happy! Are you happy? Then show it through your thankfulness. Joni Brummel

Years ago I did photo albums but I have not had the time or place to do that in recent years so I have lots of beautiful craft papers to choose from. I chose those with plain white on the back and cut them into two inch squares. Using an ordinary hole punch, make a hole in one corner.

Have each person write the things for which they are thankful on the blank side of the papers and place them on the "tree." 


Using some cardstock and the same craft paper, I also made a few center piece cards with quotes and verses about giving thanks.

He who thanks with the lips thanks but in part; the full, the true Thanksgiving comes from the heart. J.A. Shedd
Fold the cardstock in half and decorate both sides so that folks can read those important words from either side of the table. This could even be done as a cube with all four sides decorated.I am planning to add to these each year.


This year as you celebrate, don't forget to be THANKFUL.
Give thanks in all curcumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

What traditions do YOU have for giving thanks on Thanksgiving?

0 comments:

My Instagram