A Hard Lesson

I understand why people are so hesitant to take on the responsibility of spiritual training of their children. It brings James 3:1 that says “Not many of you should presume to be teachers… because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly” into clear focus. Often I feel that the more that I try to teach my children what is right, the more my own sin becomes obvious. For example:


One morning I went into my bedroom, only to discover that a box of confiscated Legos was scattered all over the floor.

“Not only are you grounded from playing with these Legos,” I scolded the boys with fury, “but I do not like stepping on them in your room, and I definitely don’t like stepping on them in mine!” (Did I mention that I am a red-head?)

They insisted that they had not been playing with them, but my son hurried to clean them up. A little bit later I glanced into my room just in time to notice my toddler scattering the Legos around my room. I had reacted hastily and had to apologize to the boys.

At lunchtime we read the Scripture, and memorized our verse for that day. “Do not hasten in your spirit to become angry, for anger rests in the bosom of fools.”(Ecclesiastes 5:1) I did not have to do much explaining – my own “hasty anger” that morning had already shown my children exactly what that verse meant!

Oh, how much I need the Grace of God!

1 comments:

luvmil said...

Amen to that. "His grace is sufficient for me." Too bad I don't access it before the "abundance of the heart" rolls off my sharp tongue. Groan. Sure glad for His grace and mercy.

My Instagram